Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Barack Obama: An Oiled President

Barack Obama: An Oiled President

It was a cold, dreary day. Right after I heard the articulate, fiery man speak to a crowd of about fifty for over an hour, I went up the stairs to get my book signed. That fiery man was Chris Hedges, a vocal participant in the Occupy movement and anti-corporate activist. When I got my chance, I asked Mr. Hedges if he had expected President Obama to voice approval of the southern leg of the Keystone XL pipeline after he had previously rejected it. Hedges said that he did expect Obama to voice his approval for the project because of what was said when the pipeline was rejected. Sure enough, those activists that cheered at the rejection of the pipeline missed these telling words:
The Secretary of State has recommended that the application [for the pipeline] be denied…I agree…This announcement is not a judgment on the merits of the pipeline, but [on] the arbitrary nature of a deadline.
Obama even hinted at his future support of the pipeline: “[there may be] development of an oil pipeline from Cushing, Oklahoma to the Gulf of Mexico.” These deceptive words used by the President made me think:  Is the president heavily influenced by Big Oil or is the statement he made in the 2008 campaign, “I don’t take money from oil companies” true?

No comments:

Post a Comment