Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Saturday, June 4, 2016

New post on Brave New Climate: What "On the ..."?by Barry Brook



New post on Brave New Climate

What “On the…”?

by Barry Brook
I've never liked titles of scientific papers that being with "On the...[whatever]". It's always struck me as simultaneously pretentious and uninformative. These days I usually try to give the main result in a paper's title, or at least, make it clever, or humorous... (Another irk is when people introduce a speaker with the phrase "Without further ado...". Please.)
But despite myself, I'm going to start a new "On the..." series on BNC (3.o!). In this case, it seems to fit. You see, there are a whole range of topics on which I have been holding myself back from commenting over the last year or two (...for various reasons). Now, it's time to unleash. Or counter. Or muse. Or speculate. Whatever befits the topic, really. You know all those soapboxes I've been erecting for others in the Open Threads? My turn, again.
I've made a start on a few of them in Evernote. In no particular order: "On Fukushima". "On Solar Thermal". "On Sc[k]eptics". "On Ideologues". "On Expertise". "On the Energy Mix". "On Science and Philosophy". "On Space". "On the Future". "On Supervision". "On Qualitative Research". "On Positive Discrimination". "On Religion". And so on. Who knows, if I write enough of them, I might have myself a(other) publishable manifesto!
Other topics are planned, but I won't give away their titles. It'd spoil the effect. Suffice to say that they'll be wide ranging (across the broad techno-climate-energy-environment-ecology-evolution-philosophical theme of BNC at least), variable in length, quality and evidence base, and always with a strong lashing of personal opinion. It is BNC 3.0 after all...
The first "On the..." will come soon - tomorrow(ish)... I hope! It'll feature the NFCRC. Given my involvement on the science expert panel, I'd better say something about its findings.

P.S. I did some minor updates to the blog's theme, cleaned out that awful background image that was well past the 'grating on me' stage, and restored the topic categories on the side-bar. I also updated my icon 'photo'. It seemed appropriate.
Barry Brook | 4 June 2016 at 10:52 PM | Categories: On the... | URL: http://wp.me/piCIJ-1Mz


https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=wm#inbox/1551b796f134e260

No comments:

Post a Comment