Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Greetings from the newly appointed engineering dean

MIT School of Engineering
Chandrakasan  
Dear Alumni and Friends,

Warm greetings from Cambridge.

I am honored and humbled to be named the next dean of the MIT School of Engineering. (You can read the full announcement here.)

I would like to thank my predecessor, Ian Waitz, who will assume the role of vice chancellor next month. He has been a forceful leader for the School, and I expect to work closely with him throughout this transition and beyond.

Long before I took my first walk down the Infinite Corridor, I recognized that engineering at MIT is special. I look forward to building on the School of Engineering's strong history and working with the faculty, students, postdocs, staff, and you to define what it means to be an engineer in this ever-changing time. It is truly up to us to shape the future we want.

Our research, our educational programs, and our culture are the foundation of MIT, and they have never been stronger. Likewise, our ethic of meritocracy and our will to be inclusive — to keep the heart in our "mens et manus" philosophy — remain central to recruiting and cultivating the people who never back away from the most challenging of problems.

I hope you will join me in my excitement for the journey ahead, one that is sure to be full of unparalleled innovation. Over the coming year, I will have more to discuss with you about my plans and priorities. In the meantime, I look forward to meeting many more of you and hearing your thoughts on where you think the School is today and where it should be in the future.

Our alumni and friends are the best ambassadors and advocates for MIT and the impact we can make. I'm eager to work together with all of you to help the School thrive and support President's Reif's charge to build a better world.

Sincerely,

Anantha P. Chandrakasan
Vannevar Bush Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science



MIT School of Engineering
77 Massachusetts Avenue | Cambridge, MA 02139

No comments:

Post a Comment