Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An Unsung Hero Of The Nuclear Age -- Ron Rosenbaum, Slate

An Unsung Hero Of The Nuclear Age -- Ron Rosenbaum, Slate
Maj. Harold Hering and the forbidden question that cost him his career.

It was a risk. Dedicating a book to someone I'd had had a five-minute phone conversation with three decades ago. Someone who, last I'd heard, had become a long-haul trucker and whom I'd given up trying to track down.
But I went ahead and dedicated my new book, How the End Begins: The Road to a Nuclear World War III, to Maj. Harold Hering because Maj. Hering sacrificed his military career to ask a Forbidden Question about launching nuclear missiles. A question that exposed the comforting illusions of the so called fail-safe system designed to prevent "unauthorized" nuclear missile launches.
Read more ....

No comments:

Post a Comment