Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Friday, June 17, 2011

A Personal Note of Thanks from the Editor

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the American Nuclear Cafe for
 highlighting my Nuclear Wire in their recent article discussing social media and
nuclear energy.  More importantly, I would like to thank you the readers for
finding my Nuclear Wire of sufficient merit that you continue to follow the news
commentary, technical analyses, studies, testimony that pertains to the nuclear
industry.  I endeavor to bring you the best of what is being written in the blogosphere,
the good, the bad, and the ugly of electricity generation.

One of the greatest inventions of the 20th Century was the invention of air conditioning,
something many of us living in the United States takes for granted, something which is
not readily available around the world, something which is extremely important to maintaining
health and standard of living, especially of the elderly and children, brought only to you through electricity.

I can't imagine living in a world without electricity.  It is a fundamental necessity of life as
we know it in the developed world. Electricity generation however comes with environmental
risk and it is necessary that we recognize there is no risk free lunch here.  Done right, we
can minimize this risk. I do believe that nuclear generation can be done safely. I marvel
that there hasn't been an accident resulting in the loss of human life in the naval nuclear
submarine program.  I equally marvel at the fact that the single largest environmental disaster
involved the collapse of a dam killing more than 250,000 people in China. Yet people rarely
concern themselves with the risks associated with hydro electric generation.

So I will continue to bring to the fore in my own little niche the relevant issues surrounding
the siting of energy facilities, transparency in the decision making process, and the safety of
nuclear power.

No comments:

Post a Comment