Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Future Nuclear Energy Sources by Charles Barton

Future Nuclear Energy Sources

This is my second attempt to return to blogging after a serious illness. The first attempt was thwarted by various relapses in addition to deterioration of my vision which has left me in a state of near blindness. I would like to thank my wife, Becky, for her assistance in relaunching my blog. Aside from my eyesight, my health definitely appears to be on the mend. My eyesight unfortunately cannot be corrected. I just have to live with it. 

The return to life after near death changes a person and it has changed the way I look at energy.

We face an increasingly severe climate crisis driven by carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The primary culprit in this crisis is fossil fuel. At the same time fossil fuel companies are campaigning for continued dominance of fossil fuel in the energy market. Advocates of both fossil fuel and so called green energy are opposed to both nuclear power and the development of nuclear technology.

Fossil fuel companies oppose nuclear power because it offers routes to fossil fuel replacement by non-carbon energy sources.  Even the critics of nuclear power can see that nuclear power can produce many different types of energy without the creation of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Advocates of renewable energy are not necessarily opposed to nuclear power, however a number of ideologically based environmental organizations oppose nuclear power in principal citing safety problems, nuclear waste, nuclear proliferation, and capital cost of nuclear generating stations.http://nucleargreen.blogspot.com/2013/01/future-nuclear-energy-sources.html

No comments:

Post a Comment