Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Decouple Podcast with Christ Keefer - The Power Grid, the Policy Grid, and the "Could" Grid

 

Podcast with Chris Keefer
The Power Grid, the Policy Grid, and the "Could" Grid
I was recently interviewed by Dr. Chris Keefer on Decouple Podcast. In my forthcoming book, Shorting the Grid, I present the situation and the choices as they currently exist on the grid. I avoid doing too much speculation. Dr. Keefer had read the book carefully before interviewing me.

In the book, I describe the "two grids." One is the Power Grid: it moves power (electricity). The other is the Policy Grid, which supplies money. My interview with Keefer was mostly about the Power Grid. We had fun with my automotive comparisons. Who knew I had so many automotive comparisons in Shorting the Grid? I didn't realize this until the podcast. In one example, I described big trucks as baseload plants (steady performers, not much acceleration) versus quick flexible sports cars. “We don’t need baseload” is the equivalent of “goods can be carried cross country in sports cars.” Keefer had read an early copy of my book, and asked excellent questions on the podcast.

The Could Grid

When I wrote about the podcast on my blog, I began to think about the decisions that I made as I wrote the Shorting the Grid. My main decision was to be sure to describe the reality on the Power and Policy grids. As I have often said, “Look out for the word could.” As soon as someone begins to talk about what we “could” do, I get suspicious. My blog post is "Could" versus Reality. A podcast with Chris Keefer.

In Shorting the Grid: The Hidden Fragility of our Electric Grid, I described issues on the grid and physical constraints on today's grid. I avoided technologies that "could" be used. For example, many articles about the grid assume that the spiky performance of renewables can be backed up by grid-level storage.They can't be, at least right now.

The articles rarely mention that batteries simply are not up to the job of storing gigawatt hours of power. They rarely mention that over 90% of the storage on the grid right now is from pumped storage hydro plants. Since these plants generally require building a reservoir on a hill, they are usually placed in mountainous or hilly areas. There are many scenic and ecological concerns with building more pumped storage to back up more renewable energy.

Then there are the articles about backing up the grid with hydrogen power plants, and the hydrogen comes from hydrolysis of water, using renewable energy as the source of electricity for the hydrolysis. Right now, there's a plan to add renewable-formed hydrogen to the stream of natural gas going to a proposed power plant in Texas. Sonal Patel has an excellent article in Power Magazine about the Texas project and other Entergy-Mitsubishi projects. Although Mitsubishi is planning to use "green" hydrogen at several sites, it has to be noted that making green hydrogen is energy intensive, and so far, these are all...plans. We are still in a state of "could."

When I began mentally classifying articles on the grid into Power, Policy and Could articles, I was discouraged to see how little information is available about the grid we have, and how much is written about the Could grid. I hope my book will help us understand the real grids, Power and Policy, that we have right now.

(I am now reviewing the printers versions of the book. I hope to have a release date soon.)

Praise for Shorting the Grid

The National Academy of Engineering describes the U.S. power grid as the “supreme engineering achievement of the 20th century.” Its user interface has customer-facing simplicity that hides a system of massive complexity. The grid’s engineering excellence has allowed almost all Americans to simply assume its future existence.

But Meredith Angwin is an unusually perceptive maven who digs deeply when initial answers don’t make sense. She’s learned that the marvelous machine that is the foundation of modern living is being threatened by political and financially motivated maneuvers.

Shorting the Grid reveals reasons why we must pay more attention to grid governance and the potential of poor decisions to override technical successes.

— Rod Adams: Blogger at Atomic Insights, Managing Member at Nucleation Capital LP
Meredith Angwin 


 

Carnot Communications | 68 Passumpsic Avenue, P O Box 741, Wilder, VT 05088

No comments:

Post a Comment